Further dissect the situation to make it better for the next time.
- What was happening at the time of the big emotion?
- Was I not being heard?
- Was this person not listening to me?
- Were my needs not being met? What are those needs?
- Was this a pattern in childhood or was this a reasonable response to the situation?
- How were my feelings not being validated?
- Learn your trigger feelings – what happens immediately when you begin to feel unsafe/not calm. (Examples: Does your jaw get tight, does your heart flutter, does your skin crawl?)
Next time you will catch it sooner because you are becoming more aware and have become the observer. Always continue to observe and be in question after the experience.